Friday, December 28, 2007

Operation Impact getting a boost

We had 900+ recruits graduate from the academy yesterday. I was worried about keeping Operation Impact going a few weeks ago, but Mike called me up on Tuesday and said we need to turn this negativity around. He said, rather cryptically, that it probably wouldn't be so great for my prospective mayoral run if I keep making him look bad. Whatever that means. I doubt that's a veiled threat, he's probably just trying to help me out with this sinking ship of mine.

Anyway, these 900+ new guys and gals will be a real boost. I figure we can get a good bunch of C summonses in the first two days before the first dozen or so freshly minted rookies start resigning for greener pastures. We'll be able to reduce crime for a couple of days at least. So Mike said we'll line up the press for a couple of feel-good "wow we're really fighting crime" types of interviews with the DCPI and a few of the new-jacks. But I told him it's critical this all happens within the first week or so. Because by week three we're definitely going to start losing people. And some of these rooks might figure out by then that we aren't quite as "advanced" as we like to claim at the academy.

I sure am good at this smoke and mirrors stuff...

No comments: